Manicures are beautiful and can add class and style to any person. Here are some step-by-step instructions for giving yourself a DIY manicure.
Step 1 Gather Materials
- soapy water
- olive oil
- cuticle pusher
- nail clippers
- nail file with pointed end
- nail buffer (or nail file)
- cotton ball
- nail polish (optional)
- hand lotion
Step 2 Soak Nails
Soaking nails in soapy water will help clean and soften your nails for the next step. Pour the soapy water into the bowl. Place hands into the soapy water. Let them soak for about 2 minutes.
- Be careful when trimming and filing your nails after this step. Be gentle so you won't break any nails.
Step 3 Cuticles
Unkempt cuticles can ruin the appearance of your manicure. Make sure to complete this step. Take hands out of the water. Dry them with a towel. Using your cuticle pusher, push back cuticles.
Step 4 Remove Dirt from Underneath Nails
Place the pointed end of your nail file underneath the top of the nail. Drag back and forth to remove dirt.
Step 5 Trim Nails
This is an important step if the nails need to be shorter of if there are hangnails. If something catches on a hangnail, the hangnail could rip out causing a very painful experience. Trim nails (if desired) and any hangnails you see.
Step 6 Shape Nails
Filing your nails is also a very important step. Filing nails gives nails shape and gets rid of and prevents split ends and rough edges. Using your nail file, file your nails into the desired shape.
Step 7 Buff Nails
Buffing nails can increase blood circulation in the nail bed allowing your nails to grow faster. Buffing nails also smooths ridges on the nail. Place your nail buffer or nail file on the fingernail. Drag back and forth to smooth the fingernail.
- Be careful not to buff your fingernails too much, because the nails will become brittle and more likely to break.
Step 8 Olive Oil
Olive oil will make the nails shinier. It will also strengthen the nails. Put a little bit of olive oil on a cotton ball. Rub the cotton ball on the nails. It's okay if some olive oil gets outside the perimeter of the nail. Leave the olive oil on your nails until it soaks in. If you don't have time for it to soak in, leave it on for about 2 minutes and wipe it off with a towel.
Step 9 Lotion
Lotion will moisturize hands and leave them smooth and soft. Apply your favorite hand lotion and rub in. If you are giving a manicure to someone else, this will most likely be their favorite part because it feels great when the lotion is rubbed in.
Step 10 Polish
If you want, add some nail polish or nail art for a unique effect.
- Use a nail striper and nail pen for best nail art results.
- Visit this website for nail art ideas: http://www.nailsmag.com/
Thumbnail by photostock
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades